Posted on April 29, 2019 by Joe Bradbury
In the pursuit of a lean, Summer body I’ve experimenting with different dieting methods to help lose a few pounds. I’ve settled on reducing carbs whilst keeping protein above 1.5g per pound of body weight, and maintaining fats around 70-80 grams a day, so I thought I’d share my cracking low carb breakfast with you.
Now, what I will admit is that whilst reducing carbs can be an effective method of creating a caloric deficit, there are a few downsides to it. Once carbs are dropped below a certain level there is a noticeable drop in strength and energy levels, especially if you save carbs till after you’ve trained. People can also suffer a dip in general mood and increased irritability until they have adjusted so start with a slight reduction and slowly drop it rather than jumping in at the deep end and cutting them completely. With that being said, here’s a cracking low carb breakfast that’s high in protein but low on the calories.
The Low Carb Breakfast
- 3 eggs
- 1 tin of tuna, preferably in brine not oil
- 1 onion
- fresh herbs (anything to add flavour – rosemary, coriander, basil etc)
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Splash of milk
- Drain the tuna completely, add some oil to the pan then begin to fry the tuna on a medium heat. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the diced onion and fresh herbs then cook for a few minutes until the flavour of the herbs is released.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together then pour over the top and reduce the heat.
- Slowly cook until the top looks completely cooked and resembles an omelette – you can always brown or finish off the cooking under the grill.
- As an alternative, you can also scramble the eggs if you prefer.
Check out our recipe pages for other delicious meals and snacks.