Posted on January 09, 2018 by Alex Carrie
Time is the biggest killer of my love for cooking and trying new recipes. If I had it all my way I would experimenting and trying new foods all the time, unfortunately I don’t prioritise this as highly as I should. I still manage to eat relatively well, but it usually easy meals such as chicken and roast vegetables, omelettes, frittatas and pretty much any egg related meal. These corn and courgette cakes are my new go to savoury snack!
Personally, any recipe needs to have to the option of cooking in bulk and being able to use for a couple of days – for meals or even snacks, that way I have lots of healthy food ready for when I have a busy day. Therefore, I cooked these corn and courgette cakes yesterday…don’t be shocked if they don’t turn out the most attractive thing you have ever cooked. They taste as good as they look bad!
Corn and Courgette Cakes
- 150g sweetcorn,
- 1 courgette (grated),
- cumin seeds tsp,
- 3 tbsp self-raising flour,
- 2 eggs,
- chopped chilli, seasoning of choice.
1. Place corn in a large bowl with all the other ingredients (grated courgettes, seeds, flour, eggs (beat them before adding), chilli and the seasoning to taste.
2. Heat a tad of oil in a pan on a medium heat and leave to heat up. Once hot, add roughly tbsp. sized batches of the mixture. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they are a nice golden-brown colour.
3. If you do better than me and split up the mixture evenly and relatively average sized, then you should end up with 12 evenly (the part I didn’t manage very well) sized corn and courgettes cakes.
4. These corn cakes are extremely tasty on their own, but I love them with either guacamole or just smashing avocado with a squeeze of lime and lemon running through the avocado.
The best part about these corn and courgette cakes is that you can make loads of them and the refrigerate and freeze very well. I will enjoy them over the next couple of days before I go to Berlin Wednesday…I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.