Posted on May 21, 2019 by Kate Halsall
Ok, I know what you’re thinking – I’m a little late to the party here. Ieuan posted a blog about overnight oats ages ago (and I’ve borrowed his picture here!). Emily is always blogging about how much she loves porridge. Joe uses oats as a pre-workout boost. And here I am, finally getting on board! But I made these creamy overnight oats for breakfast yesterday, and I swear they would be good at any time of the day!
- 50-55g Wholegrain Rolled Oats
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Linseed
- 1 Tsp Nut Butter
- 1-2 Tblsp Yogurt – I used unsweetened Alpro Soy
- Handful of Berries – I used Blueberries and Raspberries
I’m not going to lie – this isn’t a measured or perfected recipe. We’ve largely made it up in our house, but it’s doing the job!
- Measure out the oats and place in a tub. Shake the tub to ensure even distribution.
- Pour enough almond milk into the tub to cover the oats – don’t get carried away here!
- Sprinkle the flaxseeds over and add the nut butter.
- Stir and pop in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, you’ll find all the liquid has been soaked up – and let’s be honest, it doesn’t look that appealing!
- Add the yogurt and stir.
- Throw in the berries, cover and pop back into the fridge until you’re ready to eat it.
You can use any alternative to dairy milk. Just ensure it’s unsweetened and fortified.
Instead of flax or linseed, a lot of recipes use chia seeds.
If using all these unsweetened ingredients makes it too bland for you, try adding a natural sweetener such as cinnamon or maple syrup – I’m just trying to keep the calories down!
You could add protein powder to give it an extra punch.
One recipe I found on the internet included a teaspoon of vanilla extract – that sounds AMAZING.
And there you have it – quite possibly the quickest and easiest recipe I have ever blogged about! But trust me – it’s particularly yummy!