I made this healthy protein balls recipe last night, they are super easy to make and taste AMAZING!!
Don’t let the fact that the recipe contains avocado put you off! You can’t taste it, instead they just taste really chocolate-y!
I’ve tried to make chocolate avocado mousse before and failed! It tasted terrible so I was a bit wary about what these would taste like but use a good quality protein powder and these protein balls taste yummy!
So without further ado, here we go…
- 1 large avocado
- 1 heaped tbsp of chocolate protein powder
- 1 tbsp of cacao powder
- few drops of vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp walnuts (or any nuts you fancy finely crushed)
- For the coating choose ground flax seed, sesame seeds or coconut flakes.
- Scoop the avocado out of the skin and place in a small food processor, and blend until smooth.
- Add all of the other ingredients and blend until mixed well and smooth – the nuts should still be a little chunky in the mixture to add some texture.
- Take a tsp of the mixture and roll into a ball, then cover in your desired coating. I used sesame seeds for these but ground flax seeds work a treat too!
- Place in the fridge and leave over night.
There are a lot of calorie dense products in these protein balls such as avocado, nuts, seeds etc so I would recommend only having one of these as a snack if you are watching your weight or aiming to improve your body composition.
These are great little snacks to carry around with you when you’re on the go or after the gym.