Posted on November 22, 2020 by Kate Halsall
Actually, it’s a stew, but you get the drift. If you’ve been watching “I’m A Celeb”, you will have seen that their task stars awarded them Ox Tails and they didn’t know what to do with them. Well they should have asked us!! We have a recipe for Oxtail Soup to resolve that! It is best recommended throughout the colder months, and its soup-er easy. Slow cook overnight, then heat it up when you finish work for an incredible, heartwarming stew.
- 500g of oxtail – support your local butchers (feel free to go for more if you want- it just depends how meaty you like your stew!)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Spring onion, thinly sliced
- 2-4 garlic cloves
- 1.5 teaspoon of fresh ginger
- 1-2 scotch bonnets, chopped
- 2 table spoons of dark soy sauce
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Broad beans
- Salt & pepper
- 400ml water
- 1/2 bottle of red wine- such as a Spanish Rioja (everything in moderation!)
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- For the oxtail, get the butcher to halve the larger pieces for you
- Marinade oxtail in the garlic, ginger, chili soy sauce, thyme, salt and pepper overnight if possible
- Heat some oil in a pan and brown off the meat in batches. Once this is done, place in slow cooker
- Deglaze the pan with some of the red wine and then pour this over the meat
- Add all other ingredients to the slow cooker and leave on low for as long as you can. Keep an eye on the liquid level and top up as needed.
- Serve either on its own or with some fresh rice
For more hearty and wintery recipes, check out our blog here.