This bulgar wheat, apricot, walnut and radicchio salad is my current favourite! And here’s why….
1. It’s great to bulk make so I can use it for lunches or evening meals when I need something quick.
2. It’s full of protein, good fats and slow release energy….just what I need to keep my energy levels up during the day and help either fuel an evening bike ride home, or assist with muscle repair after a morning workout.
3. It’s really tasty!! And that’s the most important thing! I never usually like sweet things such as apricots in savoury food, but the apricots in this recipe work really well!
4. It’s super easy to make.
Ingredients – serves 4
- 15g flat leaf parsley
- 200g bulgar wheat
- 90g apricots
- 50g walnuts
- 25g sunflower seeds (or any you wish)
- 1/2 head radicchio lettuce
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- juice of one lemon
- Cook the bulgar wheat according to the instructions on the packet
- Leave to cool
- Chop the radicchio, finely chop the parsely, smash up the walnuts (my favourite part! I put the walnuts in a bag and then smash them up with a rolling pin!), dice the apricots.
- Make the dressing by whisking the honey, oil and lemon together.
- Once the bulgar wheat is cool add all of the other ingredients, mix thoroughly.
For added protein power serve with boiled free range eggs or some chicken or fish.