Posted on December 18, 2018 by Kate Halsall
I appreciate that this isn’t a Christmas recipe. I also agree this this is quite possibly the easiest meal you could make! However, despite being quick and easy to make, it’s tasty. All I’ve done is spiced up a broccoli and pea soup with pesto tofu croutons! A quick note here on tofu – you need a firm one; in this case “cauldron” worked well.
- 300g Broccoli – I just used one head of broccoli for this soup
- 300g Frozen Peas
- 1 Litre of Boiling Water
- 1 Organic, Low Salt Stock Cube – I used a gluten free variety called Kallo
- 200g Cauldron Original Tofu – pressed and drained.
- 1tbsp Pesto – in this instance I used a ready made gluten, dairy and wheat free variety from Scala
- 1tbsp Oil
- Put the peas, broccoli, stock cube and hot water in a pan. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the cooked vegetables and their stock to a blender and blitz.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Cube the tofu and add to the hot oil. When the tofu starts to change colour and is going crispy on it’s outside, add the pesto and stir fry until all the tofu is coated.
- Once everything is ready – serve!
Now of course you can add more things to the soup. You could start the soup by sauteing garlic and onions…some recipes even say add a potato or some cream. I just like hearty easy meals which don’t need many ingredients! I did sneak some spinach in mine too as it needing using. If you don’t like tofu – just add the pesto to the soup when you blitz it: it adds a great richness to the soup!
Of course this soup is packed full of protein even without the addition of the tofu, but I added it for the texture too. We have lots of food blogs about soup on our website, just click here to browse.