Posted on October 09, 2020 by Jenny Cromack
Curries often get a bit of bad press for not being very healthy, but a homemade curry can be very healthy and often a great way of getting in lots of veggies and a good source of protein.
So in celebration of how much we love curries, here is our Coconut Chickpea Curry from Beth, one of our personal trainers. It’s a great vegetarian or vegan curry, but feel free to add in some chicken too!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 inch fresh ginger – grated
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground black peppe
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes or 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk or 1 tin
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 1 lime
- Fresh coriander to serve
- In a large pan, heat some oil and add the onion, stirring frequently, until the onion is softened and starting to brown.
- Add the ginger and garlic, stir for 60 seconds or so then add the garam masala, turmeric, black pepper and cayenne pepper and salt and cook for 30 seconds to toast the spices.
- Add the tomatoes and stir well. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in the coconut milk and add the chickpeas. Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes or until the sauces has reduced slightly. Stir in some juice from the fresh lime.
- Serve with wholegrain rice and garnish with fresh coriander
- For an extra protein punch add some prawns, chicken or tofu.
If you have any recipes you would like to see then just let us know!