Posted on November 03, 2021 by Emily Forbes
So, it’s the beginning of November, the clocks have changed back, the rain has started, and according to an article I read at the weekend, the day the clocks change is an acceptable time to turn your heating on. That can only mean one more thing: it’s soup season. Here is a simple fennel soup recipe to get you going.
Fennel has a mild, sweet flavour with hints of anise. Admittedly, this last batch I made and a stronger aniseed-y taste but was still delicious.
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 Fennel bulbs
- 1 tsp veg boullion or half a veg stock
- Melt butter and oil in pan
- Chop fennel bulb and add to the pan. Frequently stir fennel until it starts to soften and lightly brown. About 10 mins.
- Add water to cover fennel and veg stock/boullion. Bring to the boil then simmer for another 10-15mins. Season with pepper, the stock adds enough salt but you could add more
- Blend into soup, add more water if needed
- Serve hot
This serves 2 people. Add more fennel bulbs and stock for larger portions.
Fennel is high in folate, potassium, Vitamin C and fibre. Supports healthy immune system, skin and digestion.
For other soup ideas, check out our blogs!