Posted on February 26, 2019 by Kate Halsall
I’m not sure whether I should call this Sri Lankan Jackfruit or a Curried Jackfruit to be honest. I’ve never had proper Sri Lankan food but I’ve used a Sri Lankan spice mix so I’m going with that! I’m still experimenting with Jackfruit, and the truth be told, I haven’t moved on much since my last Jackfruit recipe! But this one is very filling and certainly got my taste buds tingling.
- 250g Jackfruit (1 tin drained)
- 1 Red Pepper (it can be any colour really)
- Fresh Green Chilli – add as much or as little as you like!
- 40g Creamed Coconut (dissolved in 250ml boiling water)
- 1 Onion
- 1tbsp Sri Lankan Spice Mix
- Fresh Ginger
- Fresh Coriander
- Oil for cooking
- Prepare all the vegetables right at the start. Dice the onion, chilli and pepper, grate the ginger and roughly chop the coriander (keep the stalks!). Drain and rinse the Jackfruit.
- Heat 1tsp of oil and cook the onion on medium heat. Add the spice mix, fresh ginger and coriander stalks (I learnt this trick from Mindful Chef). Cook for minute.
- Add the red pepper, Jackfruit, creamed coconut and coriander leaves. Place a lid on the pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for further 5 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl with the chilli sprinkled on top.
You can add desiccated coconut if you want to make this more “coconutty” (if that’s a word!). I’ve also seen a similar recipe which contains tamarind paste too. I ate the Jackfruit by itself, but as there is a sauce, you could serve it with rice. I also ate mine so quickly that I forgot to take a picture! So in this instance the picture is from Pixabay.