Posted on June 10, 2019 by Emily Forbes
We get a fruit box delivered to the studio every Monday but ever since one of our old personal trainers, Alex Carrie left a year ago none of us has been able to completely finish it in the week. And there are ALWAYS pears left! Followed by the apples. Bananas and grapes don’t seem to last all that long. For a while, I was using up the apples and pears to make as healthy a crumble as I could. But when you make a huge portion and there is only one of you, it’s just unnecessary calories. So I’ve had to come up with other ideas to use up the pears. When the weather was showing some signs of getting warmer I thought I could use them to blitz up some fresh Summer smoothies.
Summer smoothies: #1
- Half a cucumber
- 1 pear
- Chunk of ginger
- Watermelon (optional)
- Water (about third-half of big NutriBullet container, but to suit your preference)
- Add all the ingredients to NutriBullet (other blenders/juicers are available!) and whizz until smooth. This smoothie is a really light and refreshing mix and feels really cleansing. The addition of the ginger was the game changer. I had watermelon in the fridge the other day so had a play and it worked. You could add ice if you want it super chilled but I’m not a fan.
Summer smoothies: #2
- Blueberries, 1-2 handfuls
- Banana, 1
- Peanut butter, 1 tbs
- Fage yoghurt, half a small pot
- Almond milk, (about third-half of big NutriBullet container)
- Protein powder, 1 scoop (I used blueberry/acai but I think vanilla would be better)
- Add all the ingredients to NutriBullet and whizz until smooth. This is a very filling smoothie and was used as a meal replacement.
When making smoothies I try to make them fairly balanced, so not adding only fruit but also incorporating veggies, protein or fats in there. I find they are useful when you are short on time, want something light or just a good way to boost your nutrient and water intake.
The cucumber and pear one is now pretty regular for me and finds it actually fills me up for a while, I like to have it in the morning.
Enjoy. Emily x